Wise County Texas
Justice of the Peace, Precinct 1
Honorable Judge Jan Morrow


Home Criminal Civil Payment Options Forms Jurors FAQs County Holidays Weddings OCA 

Constable Dennis Hudson

Texas Rules of Civil Procedure Part V. Rules of Practice In Justice Courts
(Effective September 1, 2013; Amended September 1, 2016)

Texas Rules of Evidence

Chapter 15, Subchapter E of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code

State Law Library Self-Help


Defendant's Plea

What are the Fees Charged by the Justice Court?

Download the Fee Schedule here.

Can the Justice Court Help???

The Code of Judicial Conduct prohibits a Judge or court staff from “practicing law” (giving legal advice). The Code further prohibits the Justice of the Peace from engaging in communications concerning the merits of a pending judicial proceeding, or the merits of an impending claim or dispute. The following information is intended to be basic, procedural and informational, and is not offered as legal advice. The information is not exhaustive. There may be other remedies and procedures not listed below. You should seek professional, licensed, legal counsel for advice.

The Court and its staff are strictly prohibited from giving legal advice and can only assist on procedural questions.

What about criminal cases?

Justice Courts have jurisdiction of:

  • Traffic offenses

  • Class C misdemeanors (punishable by fines only up to $500)

  • Criminal cases punishable by fine only, or a fine and a sanction not consisting of confinement or imprisonment that is rehabilitative or remedial in nature.

How are criminal cases filed?

Most frequently, cases are filed by law enforcement agencies, such as the Sheriff, the police department, the Department of Public Safety, Parks & Wildlife, and others.

Attorney representation

Again, it is not required that you be represented by legal counsel, but the State of Texas will be represented by the office of the Wise County Attorney, and you are certainly free to hire a lawyer to represent you in Court. But if you cannot afford an attorney, no lawyer will be appointed for you, because the offenses within the Justice Court’s jurisdiction are punishable by fine only, (and not by imprisonment).