In the year 1875, there were about thirty families living in a community situated in the southwest corner of Wise County, about five miles from the Parker County line, four miles from the Jack County line and about 25 miles from three county seats---Weatherford, Decatur, and Jacksboro. This was a rich farming section with a heavy undergrowth of grass and blackjack forest. Most of the families had built log houses for themselves along the creek banks.
About this time, in the year 1878, twelve families signed a petition asking the U.S. Government for a post office to be established on Boon's Creek. The petition was honored and the post office was established in the home of Mr. Joseph Roth who became the first postmaster.
At that time, there was a mail line running from Fort Worth to Jacksboro, and the carrier was ordered to stop at the new post office.
About the year 1881 a Mr. George Ellis and a Mr. Crane put in a general store. Andy Bailey built a dwelling in 1882 and soon afterwards put in a store. The village was growing! The present (1970) home of E.E. Worley stands in the place where Andy Bailey built his store. In the fall of 1883 Tom Alexander moved his nearer into the village and put in a drug store.
In 1882 the town site was moved from Boon's Creek to the present site and given the name of Boonsville. The first school house was a small log house, daubed with red clay, and built on a ridge about a mile west of the town.
After consolidation of the rural school with Bridgeport in 1950, Boonsville was left a lifeless community with 95 residents. There were only about thirty homes in the community and they were served by two churches, two stores, a blacksmith shop, an empty school building, and a post office.
There was very little community activity until June 1965, when Boonsville started their community improvement program that has resulted in a rebirth of the community.