BURN BAN INFORMATION
Burn Ban Issued March 13, 2017
· Wise County averages thirty (30) Elevated, Critical, Extreme and Red Flag Fire Danger days per year. Fire Weather Threat days are issued by the National Weather Service when fire conditions are expected to become so extreme, that any wildfire is predicted to be beyond the control of the initial responding fire department.
· To determine if there is a Fire Weather Threat, please visit the National Weather Service website http://www.weather.gov/fwd/firebrief3 or ,or call the Wise County Sheriff’s Office at 940-627-5971. To report a burn ban violation, simply dial 9-1-1.
· Anytime you engage in outdoor burning, we ask that that you call the Sheriff’s Office at 940-627-5971 and log your burn. This will help 9-1-1 dispatchers determine whether to send the fire department if a fire is reported at your address.
· Citizens should understand that it may be illegal, and unsafe, to engage in outdoor burning even when a Fire Weather Threat has not been issued. All outdoor burning must comply with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) rules, and incorporated cities may have ordinances that you must comply with. To view TCEQ rules go to http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/legal/rules/rules/pdflib/111b.pdf
· Complaints about outdoor burning should be filed with TCEQ by calling 817-588-5800 (ask for an Open Burning Investigator), or online at http://www2.tceq.texas.gov/oce/complaints/
· Citizens should understand the following liabilities when engaging in outdoor burning:
o Violation of a Burn Ban Order can result in a fine up to $500.
o Violation of TCEQ rules may result in one (1) year in jail and a fine up to $4,000.
o A fire that damages property belonging to another (e.g. a grass fire that crosses a property line) can result in a fine up to $500, and court ordered restitution.
o Outdoor burning that results in death, injury, or damages a building belonging to another may result in two (2) years in state jail, a fine up to $10,000 and court ordered restitution.
o A court may find that you have additional criminal and civil liability.
2004 - 2015, Wise County