Burn Ban Issued September 10, 2018
· Wise County Judge JD Clark and the Commissioners Court Adopted a new burn ban, this burn ban will be active for 90 days and replaces the former burn ban. This burn ban is permanent and does NOT follow the National Weather Service fire danger statements as the previous one did.
· This burn ban includes an exception to outdoor cooking and welding, please call the Wise County Fire Marshals Office if you have any questions.
· Anytime you engage in outdoor burning, we ask that that you call the Sheriff’s Office at 940-627-5971 and log your burn. This will help 9-1-1 dispatchers determine whether to send the fire department if a fire is reported at your address.
· Citizens should understand that it may be illegal, and unsafe, to engage in outdoor burning even when a Fire Weather Threat has not been issued. All outdoor burning must comply with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) rules, and incorporated cities may have ordinances that you must comply with. To view TCEQ rules go to http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/legal/rules/rules/pdflib/111b.pdf
· Complaints about outdoor burning should be filed with TCEQ by calling 817-588-5800 (ask for an Open Burning Investigator), or online at the TCEQ complaint site.
· Citizens should understand the following liabilities when engaging in outdoor burning:
o Violation of a Burn Ban Order can result in a fine up to $500.
o Violation of TCEQ rules may result in one (1) year in jail and a fine up to $4,000.
o A fire that damages property belonging to another (e.g. a grass fire that crosses a property line) can result in a fine up to $500, and court ordered restitution.
o Outdoor burning that results in death, injury, or damages a building belonging to another may result in two (2) years in state jail, a fine up to $10,000 and court ordered restitution.
o A court may find that you have additional criminal and civil liability.
2004 - 2015, Wise County
© 2004 - 2017, Wise County
All Rights Reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without permission
Wise County Information Technology
This site uses frames. Click here if you linked directly to this page from a search engine.